Skip to main content

'Lord we have come.'

Today the preaching was on the ten virgins,five with and five without oil.
The Jewish tradition of marriage goes something like this.
The groom travels to the bride's house where they have the main ceremony and then they wend their way back to the groom's house .However there is no telling how long it is going to be before they return with the bride.So the people at the groom's house have a long wait.In the parable we see them returning at midnight.One can visualise in the mind's eye the tiredness of the groom's family awaiting the arrival of the groom with the bride.The ten virgin's are likewise awaiting the groom ,five are actually ready with the oil in their lamps full whereas five are not.
One can imagine when the groom comes back all of them fumbling to receive him ,out of their slumber.The one's who have oil will light their lamps and happily go forward to greet the groom but the ones who do not have the oil will be begging the ones who are ready but are unable to give them their portion because they need it themselves.So the ones who do not have the oil go out for the oil and then the door closes.Frightening to say the least.
The question asked was how do we keep the oil intact and ready?
There were three aspects discussed-
1)Being internally ready with fresh supply of oil.'You have forsaken your first love' should not be the reprimand we get.We need spiritual food on a regular basis.We need to keep growing in the Lord.
The ways we can do it is-
Prayer,
Scripture,
Fellowship,
Reading christian books,biographies of great christian personalities,
Conferences,
Discipleship.
We need to keep each other burning brightly till Christ comes.
2) Ready on the outside-
Invest and help build His kingdom.
Greatest job in the world is 'Jesus business'.When Jesus hires you you are in the business of changing people's lives forever ,for all eternity.
We need to have engine rooms,where we go back to from time to time to strategise,to pray,to seek direction and keep an account of where we are.
3)Caring for the weakest and the most vulnerable.
Jesus spent disproportionate amount of time with the people in the fringes,we are called to do what Jesus did.
We are invited to resubmit ourselves to God's business.
On a poignant note,I was watching a national geagraphy's documentary on Jerusalem.
They were talking about the likelihood of one of the burial place in the cave below being the place where Jesus was burried after His crucification.On the wall is a scribble made by a sharp object with a picture of a boat and a writing which says,'Lord we have come'.The archeologists attribute this writing to about fifteen hundred years ago.To me it was a poignoint reminder of beleivers through generations who have said the same thing over and over again and have been there till they have been taken up in glory.
'Lord I have come.'May that be my life.Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

night-hunting.

 Monda suggested  we go  hunting. Dressed up to beat the rains and the unpredictable weather we ventured out at night with the two Dawas. Annie had baked a cake for Rumpanol.It started  pouring in spurts but nothing could beat the enthusiasm.The junior Dawa was to drive us to a place around fifteen kilometres up the north Sikkim highway.We would come across three rivulets of sort where we could possibly find the edible frog.The senior Dawa was already at the spot making a pathway in the jungle for us to proceed. We reached the spot at around eight at night.in the pitch dark one could hear the sound of frogs of all variety and we started seeing quite a few but none of edible variety.We shuffled around in the rain with an umbrella,raincoat and torches like Nancy drew exploring the grasses and having eye contacts with stunned frogs which seemed to have lost the ability to run .The two boys did a Tarzen and was lost in the jungle with a sling bag ,a torch sans any cover from the rain.While

Feet in the water.

  Fifteen days of earned leave after working for two years,I was praying in a house group prayer and worship and pleading with the Lord to show me something ,when it was not forthcoming I surrendered to the Lord and prayed let your will be done and then I saw the Lord walking up a winding road and deep in my spirit I knew He was calling me to follow Him .I did not know where to but I thanked the Lord and said yes. I have been living more in the unseen world than the seen world. Suddenly out of the blue I received a message from Dr Arpit asking me to replace them in Madhipura  for a  fortnight. I needed to go because things were getting a little intense and I needed sometime to step back and mull some things over. I had no idea why the Lord was taking me back to the old world of EHA , mission hospitals and friends from the yore. Travelling to Madhipura , I  continnued to ask the Lord, 'Why this road? I had no idea why I was going  where I was going.I am glad I came because I could r

Thank you.

 After almost five months of struggling with the nitty gritties the dialysis unit opened last week. We were able to dialyse our set of first three patients over the last few days. So much of effort,dissapointments ,struggles,joys and most importantly prayers have gone into the venture.Many who will never see the fruit of their prayers have invested their prayers into it. The day it started with many apprehension I was praying at the early morning hour and put my head on the pillow to rest and then just as I was about to sleep I saw a vision of Jesus on His knees interceding.That is how much my Lord cares for us and this morning while listening to Alistair I realised that He deals with us like a father does a five year old .That is how He sees us. Lord Jesus ,you are the crown on my head and the only thing I can take pride in.